EMERGING TREATMENTS AND ALGORITHM FOR FRAGILITY FRACTURES
Despite a wide range of effective anti-osteoporosis medications and a growing elderly population, the proportion of patients receiving adequate secondary fracture prevention is falling. Fragility fractures were covered in depth in with the introduction, nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic treatment options. An update will be provided here on emerging treatments within the past few years and a new algorithm will be provided.
A) Z-score -2.3; further studies warranted to rule out secondary causes
B) Z-score -2.2; normal for her age and sport
C) T-score -1.2; she has osteopenia and should start treatment with anabolic agent
D) T-score – 1.7; she has osteoporosis and should start bisphosphonate
Image 1: A chart showing Tymlos for 18 months followed by alendronate showing continued decrease in the incidence of nonvertebral fractures up to 25 months. Adopted from 
Image 2. Fragility fracture treatment algorithm
- Li X, Niu QT, Warmington KS, et al. Progressive increases in bone mass and bone strength in an ovariectomized rat model of osteoporosis after 26 weeks of treatment with a sclerostin antibody. Endocrinology 2014;155(12):4785–4797.
- Cosman F, Crittenden DB, Adachi JD, et al. Romosozumab treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2016;375(1):1532–1543.
- Saag KG, Petersen J, Brandi ML, et al. Romosozumab or alendronate for fracture prevention in women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2017;377(15):1417–1427
- Miller PD, Hattersley G, Riis BJ, Williams GC, Lau E, Russo LA, Alexandersen P, Zerbini CA, Hu MY, Harris AG, Fitzpatrick LA, Cosman F, Christiansen C; ACTIVE Study Investigators. Effect of Abaloparatide vs Placebo on New Vertebral Fractures in Postmenopausal Women With Osteoporosis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016 Aug 16;316(7):722-33
- Cosman F, Miller PD, Williams GC, et al. Eighteen months of treatment with subcutaneous abaloparatide followed by 6 months of treatment with alendronate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results of the ACTIVExtend trial. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92(2):200–210.
- McCloskey EV, Fitzpatrick LA, Hu MY, Williams G, Kanis JA. Effect of abaloparatide on vertebral, nonvertebral, major osteoporotic, and clinical fractures in a subset of postmenopausal women at increased risk of fracture by FRAX probability. Arch Osteoporos. 2019 Feb 5;14(1):15. doi: 10.1007/s11657-019-0564-7